ABOUT THE ROLE
As an Accounting Supervisor at Miller Titerle, you will collaborate effectively with the Director of Finance and Operations, Accountant, legal professionals, support staff, and vendors. Your role involves overseeing the day-to-day accounting functions of the firm. You will lead the accounting team, supporting their development through training, conducting regular performance reviews, discussing workload and career development, and managing team dynamics, efficiency, and workflow.
Your responsibilities include identifying and addressing inefficiencies, leading financial on-boarding and off-boarding processes, and ensuring the maintenance of accurate and detailed financial records. You will also ensure the effectiveness of the firm’s accounting and tax functions, which encompass accounts payable, accounts receivable (billing and collections), payroll, and trust accounting.
The salary range for this position is from $80,000 – $90,000 per annum.
Although the firm generally supports hybrid remote work, there may be some in-office requirements that necessitate your presence at the office outside of your hybrid schedule.
Training and other support will be provided to get your skills up to speed, but these are generally the traits you will embody naturally:
- Confident: You communicate confidently and candidly. You are comfortable asking for what you need, suggesting better ways of doing things, and holding people accountable to following processes and delivering results.
- High Performing: You are disciplined and take responsibility for your outcomes. You like to have everything under control to stay “one step ahead” and take ownership of moving things forward as much as possible. You’ve got an eye for continuous improvement and the drive to plan and execute it.
- Supportive: You enjoy taking care of others by providing excellent service. You like to empower other people’s performance by building systems, documenting processes, and proactively anticipating their needs. Your empathy helps you think critically about the client and colleague experience.
- Curious: You’re eager to learn and get excited about figuring out new things. You seek out your own learning opportunities and take time to understand the bigger picture of whatever it is that you’re working on.
- Detail-Oriented: You’re a details person and can proofread and spot errors like a pro. You have an eye for numbers and thrive on precision.
- Flexible: You’re good at dealing with change and can gracefully “roll with the punches” when things get a bit messy. You handle stress well, assume positive intentions in others, and step up to the plate when your colleagues need a helping hand.
- Tech-Obsessed: You get a thrill out of working smarter instead of harder. You like to master your tech tools (while patiently helping others do the same) and are excited about the potential of automation in the workplace. You’re always on the hunt for technology that makes your life easier.
- Canadian accounting designation (CPA – CA, CGA, CMA) is an asset;
- a minimum of 3 years of experience in legal accounting;
- experience leading a team, project organization, and mentorship;
- full cycle payroll experience;
- knowledge of Law Society of British Columbia (LSBC) rules;
- knowledge of principles and procedures for training, compensation and benefits, and Employment Standards;
- exceptional attention to detail with sound analytical skills;
- ability to multi-task and work under pressure while maintaining a high-degree of accuracy;
- ability to work independently, take direction, seek instructions and operate as a team player;
- proficient with Excel and PC Law, or similar accounting software;
- able to execute duties with tact and diplomacy while maintaining confidentiality;
- fast and accurate data-entry skills;
- change management and process improvement experience is an asset; and
- ability to effectively oversee the accounting team, and work alongside the Accountant.
While our firm is constantly evolving (and flexibility is key), as of right now the duties of this role generally include:
- oversee the daily operations of the accounting team, which includes trust accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, billing and collections;
- ensure that the accounting standards and procedures comply with GAAP;
- monitor signing authority, and manage the firm’s banking relationship and credit facilities;
- ensure compliance with financial reporting obligations and Law Society Rules and report errors;
- manage finance team email inboxes;
- resolve incoming inquiries and discrepancies;
- sign cheques and authorize online payments;
- maintain the established general ledger system;
- prepare updates on cash position and AR for the management team;
- administer payroll and other compensation systems, including dividends, bonuses and employee expenses;
- reconcile bank accounts, and oversee reconciliation of firm visa and other internal accounts;
- maintain outstanding cheques and trust balances;
- oversee reporting and payment of GST, PST, EHT and WCB;
- oversee preparation, submission and payment of LSBC reports and premiums;
- oversee and manage monthly billing process and timeline;
- support the Accountant with monthly financial reporting and budget to actuals analysis;
- document accounting processes and procedures;
- maintain register of client valuables;
- maintain and update data in PCLaw, including; billing rates and exceptions, tax exemptions, ethical walls, task codes and non-billable matters;
- support the Accountant with the year-end process;
- train new employees on MTCo financial processes and systems, including the on-boarding, and off-boarding process;
- manage accounting staff including performance reviews/training/workload/career development;
- provide vacation coverage and back-up to Accounting team-members;
- review processes for efficiencies, and support change management and provide training for system upgrades (e.g. PC Law upgrade);
- manage the financial filing system to keep records in accordance with the firm and Law Society’s requirements;
- complete ad-hoc projects and reports for the Management Team as required; and
- assist and support NW Notaries + Lawyers Law Corporation with financial matters.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and a brief statement describing why this particular role speaks to you to Zarah Hofer, Manager of People + Culture, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"*" indicates required fields