Practice Manager (Legal Assistant) – Corporate + Real Estate (Temporary Contract for 18 Months)
ABOUT THE ROLE
We call our legal assistants “practice managers” to signal the elevated level of ownership taken in supporting the team’s success. Our Practice Managers are deeply integrated into our legal files, helping to coordinate the bigger picture and support client care by participating in client meetings, transaction calls, and logistics planning with internal teams. Our Practice Managers have a full seat at the table, and we wouldn’t have it (or survive) any other way.
As a practice manager at MT+Co., you will help your team keep track of all the moving parts by coordinating workflows, tracking outstanding deliverables and documents, and generally helping us stay on top of our service commitments. You’ll also get to flex your creativity and problem-solving skills on business activities beyond client service, such as marketing and business development initiatives, firm strategic planning, and continuous improvement practices.
This particular role will involve supporting certain lawyers in the Business Law Group, with a focus on real estate transactions. While the firm is generally supportive of hybrid remote work, some in-office needs come up from time to time that will require you to attend the office outside of your hybrid schedule.
We will provide training to get your skills up to speed, but these are generally the traits you will embody naturally:
- Confident: You communicate confidently and candidly by asking for what you need, suggesting better ways of doing things and holding people accountable for following processes and delivering results. You are comfortable speaking directly with lawyers and clients and exercising great judgment around your communications.
- High Performing: You are disciplined and take responsibility for your outcomes. You like to have everything under control, so you’re proactively one step ahead and take ownership of moving things forward as much as you possibly can. You have an eye for continuous improvement and the drive to plan and execute it.
- Supportive: You enjoy taking care of others by providing excellent service. You like to empower other people’s performance by building systems, documenting processes, and proactively anticipating their needs. Your empathy helps you think critically about the client and colleague experience.
- Curious: You’re eager to learn and get excited about figuring out new things. You seek out learning opportunities and take time to understand the bigger picture of whatever you’re working on.
- Detail-Oriented: You’re a details person and can proofread like a pro. You have an eye for design and take pride in making things look nice, while also knowing when to prioritize function over fashion. You thrive on precision and administrative excellence.
- Flexible: You’re good at dealing with change and can gracefully roll with the punches when things get messy. You handle stress well, assume positive intentions in others, step up to the plate when your colleagues need a helping hand, and accept that this role works to a repetitive monthly cycle.
- Tech-Obsessed: You get a thrill out of working smarter instead of harder. You like to master your tech tools (while patiently helping others do the same) and are excited about the potential of automation in the workplace. You’re always on the hunt for technology that makes your life easier.
Ideally, you are a graduate of a legal administrative assistant program with 3+ years experience as a legal assistant and 1+ years with a focus on real estate and/or corporate law. Formal Practice management or paralegal training (or an interest in pursuing either) is an asset!
A reasonable estimate of the salary range for this role is CAD$57,000 to $75,000 at the time of this posting. Within the range, individual pay is determined by factors such as market rates, job-related skills, relevant experience, and education and/or training.
Please note that the range reflects the base pay only and does not include our competitive bonus program, 100% employer-paid benefits, and various other perks the firm offers.
While our firm is constantly evolving (and flexibility is key), as of right now, the duties of this role generally include:
Legal + Deal Support:
- Drafting legal documents from precedent and client correspondence
- Processing some routine corporate transactions with paralegal support
- Conducting due diligence searches and preparing due diligence summary
- Liaise with the finance department regarding trust transactions and prepare forms
- Property research and preliminary review of purchase and sale contracts
- Arrange signing appointments
- Compiling lender, vendor, and purchase packages for signature
- Preparing closing day checklists and realtor commissions
- Preparing closing books and various admin support on closing matters
- Revising documents based on lawyer markups
- Document formatting and assembly, with some scanning/photocopying
- Assisting with the client intake process
- Tracking and following up on outstanding deliverables and client signatures
- Attending to ad hoc client requests
- Day-to-day coordination like scheduling, ordering couriers, and arranging client gifts
- Proactively thinking about, and preparing, the next steps for the team
- Holding the team accountable for following procedures
- Creating and improving processes to streamline workflows
- Helping plan and execute marketing initiatives, like blogs and webinars
- Sourcing and implementing tech solutions to better organize tasks and deadlines
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and a brief statement describing why this particular role speaks to you to Natalia Yan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
"*" indicates required fields