Senior Corporate Paralegal
ABOUT THE ROLE
Miller Titerle + Company is a group of forward-thinking professionals committed to a more passionate and personal way of practicing law. Our high-growth business is recognized for rethinking the delivery of legal services and for expertise in our chosen fields. We strive to achieve balance between hard work and maintaining our kick-ass culture. We welcome those who don’t fit the traditional law firm mold because we believe diverse personalities help keep our lives exciting and entertaining.
We seek passionate people who believe in their work and are proud of what they do for a career. We actively pursue clients who share our values so that we can be proud of what our clients are trying to accomplish. Life is too short to spend time working with people that we don’t believe in or enjoy.
The Corporate Services Team is a growing team that puts great pride into creating efficiencies and supporting the work coming in. We believe in the importance of learning and collaboration, offering loads of opportunities to grow your skills and learn from each other.
This particular role will involve supporting lawyers in our Business Law and Transactions Group as well as our Indigenous Law Practice Group. While the firm is generally supportive of hybrid remote work, some in-office needs come up from time to time that will require you to attend the office outside of your hybrid schedule.
Training and other support will be provided to get your skills up to speed, but these are generally the traits you will embody naturally:
- Confident: You communicate confidently and candidly. You are comfortable asking for what you need, suggesting better ways of doing things, and holding people accountable to following processes and delivering results.
- High Performing: You are disciplined and take responsibility for your outcomes. You like to have everything under control, so you’re proactively “one step ahead” and take ownership of moving things forward as much as possible. You’ve got an eye for continuous improvement and the drive to plan and execute it.
- Supportive: You enjoy taking care of others by providing excellent service. You like to empower other people’s performance by building systems, documenting processes, and proactively anticipating their needs. Your empathy helps you think critically about the client and colleague experience.
- Curious: You’re eager to learn and get excited about figuring out new things. You seek out your own learning opportunities and take time to understand the bigger picture of projects you’re working on.
- Detail-Oriented: You’re a details person and can proofread like a pro. You have an eye for design and take pride in making things look nice while also knowing when to prioritize “function over fashion”. You thrive on precision and administrative excellence.
- Flexible: You’re good at dealing with change and can gracefully “roll with the punches” when things get a bit messy. You handle stress well, assume positive intentions in others, and step up to the plate when your colleagues need a helping hand.
- Tech-Obsessed: You get a thrill out of working smarter instead of harder. You like to master your tech tools (while patiently helping others do the same) and are excited about the potential of automation in the workplace. You’re always on the hunt for technology that makes your life easier.
- Paralegal Diploma/Certificate preferred, but not required, plus a minimum of 5 – 8 years experience as a Corporate Services Paralegal or an equivalent combination of training, education, and experience
- Thorough understanding of the BC Business Corporations Act, BC Societies Act, BC Partnership Act, Canada Business Corporations Act, Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, and familiarity with the Canada Income Tax Act and other relevant legislation, legal terminology, forms, and documents related to corporations, partnerships, not for profits, etc.
- Knowledge of legal procedures and practices involved in drafting, processing, and filing a variety of legal documents
- High technology proficiency including advanced Microsoft Word, Excel, ALF, DocuSign, Worldox, PCLaw, BC Registry online applications, Corporations Canada online filings, and other relevant programs
The role includes many tasks that include, but are not limited to, preparing corporate legal documents for all types of BC corporate entities, societies and partnerships, as well as Federal corporations and not-for-profits corporations, such as:
- Incorporations/organizations, amalgamations, continuations, and registrations;
- Reorganizations, including tax-driven transactions, alterations of capital, and name changes;
- Private mergers and acquisitions;
- Dissolutions, wind-ups, and, restorations;
- Declarations of dividends/bonuses;
- Share transactions such as share issuances, transfers, redemptions, repurchases, and transmissions;
- Performing due diligence reviews of corporate records and preparing rectification documentation;
- Various other corporate transactions such as director and officer changes, changes of registered/records offices, and attending to ad hoc client requests;
- Establishing, maintaining, and updating files, databases, corporate records, and other records and documents
HOW TO APPLY
Please send a resume and a brief statement describing why this particular role speaks to you to Theresa Thoreson, Corporate Services Manager, at email@example.com.
"*" indicates required fields