Tyson’s keen interest in all aspects of Aboriginal law has made him a core member of our First Nations Economic Development team. He is specifically passionate about advising First Nations on issues relating to governance, project participation, community engagement and rights and title strategies.
“MT+Co. stood out from the second I walked in the door. The entrepreneurial spirit and commitment to doing things differently is something I didn’t think existed in the legal industry. The type of work that I get to do and the values fostered by the firm’s culture are perfectly aligned with the type of lawyer I want to be.”
- Advises First Nations governments and related entities on a wide range of governance, commercial, rights and title and project related issues.
- Assists First Nations in negotiating comprehensive agreements with project proponents and government authorities relating to all phases of resource and infrastructure activity in their traditional territories.
- Helps First Nations develop and amend their governance structures – often working to develop governance structures that are unique to a Nation’s culture and objectives.
- Works with First Nations and their advisors to develop and execute community engagement strategies – often spending significant time within communities to better understand members’ concern and objectives.
- JD from the University of British Columbia.
- Business Administration and Economics Joint Degree (BBA) from Simon Fraser University with a concentration in finance.
Before law Tyson spent four years working in various positions supporting young adults with developmental disabilities.