WHO WE WORK WITH
Much like your business, MT+Co. is built on creativity, expertise, and courage.
We do things differently; we do them better. We genuinely operate as a team by leveraging a wide range of expertise to deliver your legal services efficiently and effectively and collaborating with experts whom we know and trust—and whom you can trust too. We’re direct, but not arrogant. We prioritize building relationships, not burning bridges. Our method demonstrates client success with every transaction and matter.
We believe in you, and we are committed to what you are going to accomplish.
What We Do
Reliability. Responsiveness. Relentless execution.
MT+Co.’s Mergers + Acquisitions teams are small, carefully crafted, and absolutely dedicated to results. You will only work with those lawyers best suited to the transaction. No explaining yourself over and over again, no overstaffing your negotiation team, and no (bad) surprises. You need focused expertise at every step of the way.
We primarily work with Mergers and Acquisitions advisors, small to mid-market entrepreneurs, natural resource companies, and Indigenous Organizations.
- buy, sell, or spin-off businesses or business entities
- prepare and negotiate purchase agreements focusing on the issues that matter to you
- manage your entire M+A team of advisors and executives
- assist with restructuring to complement tax strategies or to meet investor requirements
- conduct comprehensive legal due diligence
- liaise with your lenders and assist with acquisition financing, subordination arrangements, and discharges
- negotiate shareholder agreements
- meet regulatory requirements
- obtain third-party consents
- navigate employment arrangements and transition a workforce
Want more? Get in touch with David Allardice or Emily Savage.
Keep good company
Your business requires effective and experienced counsel at each stage: structuring, governance and operation, strategic planning and risk management, growth, and succession.
Your MT+Co. team is purpose-built to meet the specific needs of your business. You will often have a key point of contact who coordinates a team of practitioners, each of whom possesses specific areas of expertise. Your team will adapt with your business as it expands, contracts, or shifts focus, but will remain committed to maximizing effectiveness, efficiency, and practicality.
- plan and structure new entities and businesses, including forming corporations, not-for-profit societies, various forms of partnerships, joint ventures, and trusts
- restructure existing businesses and groups of entities across national and international jurisdictions, including complex tax-driven corporate reorganizations
- maintain a focus on creating operational and tax efficiencies throughout all structuring, restructuring, and regular corporate activities
- work closely with and implement the advice of your business’ strategic advisors including tax planners, accountants, and business consultants
- develop governance structures and executive capacity
- advise on governance and director liability
- draft, negotiate, and interpret relationship agreements, including shareholder agreements, partnership agreements, joint venture agreements, and transitional agreements
- establish and maintain records and registry filings
- document regular corporate activities
- wind down and dissolve entities at end of life cycle
Want more? Get in touch with Dan Fogarty.
Buy, sell, and distribute with confidence
Negotiating successful commercial transactions requires specialized industry knowledge, regulatory expertise, and legal experience. MT+Co. has all three.
Our clients include businesses from across industries, including professional service providers, natural resource companies, manufacturers, distributors, Indigenous businesses and economic development structures, cannabis growers and distributors, technology companies, start-ups, and retailers whose transactions span local, regional, national, and international jurisdictions.
- structure, negotiate, and advise on commercial agreements, including supply, distribution, sale, leasing, licensing, manufacturing, service, and purchase and sale agreements across a wide variety of industries
- negotiate and complete debt and equity financing
- advise on intellectual property matters
- monitor and manage changing regulatory requirements
- resolve commercial disputes through negotiation, arbitration, and litigation
- draft, ratify, and complete transactions and MOUs between Indigenous and non-Indigenous entities
Want more? Get in touch with David Allardice.
Solutions for you and our environment
Whether you are looking to solve an environmental problem, manage environmental liability, get advice on regulatory compliance, or pave paths in emerging areas of law such as climate change and carbon offsets, MT+Co. can provide the experience and expertise required to develop solutions that work for you.
- manage statutory and civil environmental liability
- advise and represent on issues including contaminated sites and environmental offences
- navigate permitting and regulatory compliance
- represent parties involved in environmental litigation
- navigate administrative challenges and climate change regulation
- prepare and advise on carbon offset agreements
Want more? Get in touch with Serin Remedios.
Sophisticated advice - delivered simply
When you need to borrow or lend funds, restructure financing, negotiate specialized credit facilities, or structure equity investment. MT+Co. creates and negotiates arrangements to meet your comprehensive, long-term needs.
MT+Co. helps with:
- secure loans
- project financing
- asset-based lending
- equipment financing
- mortgage financing
- syndicated loan facilities
- cross-border financing
- financing for Indigenous and First Nation economic development
Want more? Get in touch with Peter Eirikson.
Disputes happen in business. We’re in the business of resolving them.
By working closely with you, we help manage, mitigate, and reduce risks arising from disputes. Our lawyers represent clients at all levels of court, in mediation, at arbitration, before regulatory bodies, and in administrative tribunal hearings.
MT+Co. helps with:
- corporate commercial disputes
- risk analysis
- complex contractual issues
- shareholder and transactional disputes
- product liability claims
- corporate governance matters
- business torts
Want more? Get in touch with Myles Brown.
Real expertise in real estate
Your MT+Co. team negotiates and structures real estate deals in a fast-changing and unpredictable market. Whether your real estate transaction is part of a larger deal, or you want to tap into the value of what you already have while maintaining ownership, MT+Co. helps:
- acquire and divest land and real estate assets
- assist with financing obtained through public, private, syndicated, and institutional entities
- navigate municipal, regional, and industry land use and building regulations
- draft and review leases, leasebacks, lease assignments, and subleases
- assist with landlord-tenant disputes
- negotiate and sign partnership agreements to purchase and develop land
- draft and review ancillary real property documentation, such as easements, rights of way, and covenants
- apply Indigenous and First Nation land management to deals and development, including housing development
Want more? Get in touch with Navnit Duhra.
The right law firm knows your workplace and your work
Workplace legal issues come in many forms, from simple administrative work to complex, emotional, and all-consuming investigation and litigation matters. We are here to help you navigate the changing work environment in a way that builds, manages, and protects your workforce and your reputation.
MT+Co.'s Workplace Law Group works with businesses that need approachable lawyers willing to create and provide cost-effective legal services.
- build comprehensive workplace governance and human resource systems that aligns and accounts for an employer’s policies, past practices, and legal obligations
- transfer, restructure, and advise on contractual requirements associated with mergers and acquisitions
- conduct workplace investigations
- navigate human rights and privacy issues
- discipline or terminate employees
- update policies and procedures
- respond to business interruptions and cyber-security threats
Our approach is to prevent, manage, and resolve workplace conflict and, when necessary, advocate on your behalf before courts and administrative tribunals.
Want more? Get in touch with Lou Poskitt.