Co-Founder | Principal Lawyer
Jim co-founded MT+Co. with Rob Miller in 2009, after spending several decades as a partner in a national law firm. He says, “it’s the best decision I ever made”.
Jim is a trusted advisor to businesses in forestry, energy, and other sectors. Clients rely on him for sound, practical and cost-effective legal advice delivered in a way that’s well-informed and well-experienced.
Jim’s expertise includes negotiating environmental and commercial disputes and purchase and sale transactions of large industrial forestry facilities. He also advises on regulatory processes in the clean energy sector, real estate transactions, and a wide range of environmental law issues.
Jim is an avid outdoors enthusiast and was a member of the North Shore Search and Rescue Team for many years, but his crowning achievements are his two beautiful daughters.
- Called to The Bar in BC, 1977
- MA (Law), Oxford University (Rhodes Scholarship – Maritimes), 1975
- LLB, Dalhousie University, 1976
- Founding member of the Canadian Centre for Environmental Arbitration and Mediation, which is involved in promoting the resolution of environmental disputes through alternative dispute resolution
- Recognized in Who's Who Legal Guide, Global and National Leader, Recommended in Environment, 2022
- Named the Best Lawyers’ 2015 Vancouver Environmental Law “Lawyer of the Year”
- Recognized in the 2013 – 2022 editions of The Best Lawyers in Canada Directory in the area of environmental law