Karissa is a senior associate in our Indigenous Law Group, working with Indigenous Nations to achieve their business objectives. Karissa also works with forward-thinking businesses looking to partner with Indigenous Nations.
Karissa is a strong listener and communicator. She is knowledgeable about how her clients prefer to conduct business and the unique considerations that go along with Indigenous business dealings. Karissa is known for her thoughtful and calm approach to legal practice.
Karissa’s legal practice focuses on:
- business entity formation;
- partnership, joint venture, and revenue-sharing agreements;
- buying + selling businesses;
- board + band governance;
- Crown / Indigenous negotiations;
- sustainable resource development; and
- land leasing + development.
Equality among groups of people, and taking care of the environment for future generations, are two principles that inform Karissa’s personal and professional lives.
Outside of work, Karissa enjoys spending time with her energetic Australian Shepherd puppy, Jack, collecting art, and enjoying Vancouver’s awesome culinary and brewery scenes.
- Called to the Bar in BC, 2017
- Juris Doctor (JD), University of Saskatchewan, 2017
- Bachelor of Commerce (B. Comm.) (Great Distinction), University of Saskatchewan, 2011
- Co-Chair of the Events Planning Committee for the CBA Women Lawyers Forum (“CBA WLF”) (2022 – Present)
- Member of the CBA WLF Executive Committee (2022 – Present)
- Past member of the CBA Real Property (Vancouver) Section Executive Committee (2022 – 2023)
- Past member of the CBA WLF Mentorship Committee (2020 – 2022), and continue to participate in their mentorship program as a mentor to female lawyers