Rob is the co-founder, CEO, and chairperson of MT+Co. He is a proud father, a passionate entrepreneur, and a recognized leader in Indigenous, natural resource, energy, and corporate law.
Rob works with others at a strategic level to help them do good things. This includes advancing reconciliation, increasing Indigenous economic participation in the Canadian economy, facilitating innovative resource and infrastructure projects, and creating bold, socially beneficial business ideas.
Outside of the firm, Rob sits on the advisory and fiduciary boards of several purpose-driven and Indigenous economic development organizations.
Rob’s expertise includes advising First Nations governments, First Nations economic development corporations, and First Nation-controlled businesses on a wide range of commercial, taxation, rights and titles, and natural resources issues.
Much of Rob’s practice focuses on assisting First Nations in all phases of resource and infrastructure activity in their traditional territories. This includes navigating federal and provincial environmental assessment process and negotiating consultation protocols, traditional territory access agreements, and impact benefit agreements.
Rob also helps First Nations develop comprehensive strategies to balance stewardship and protection of cultural heritage while developing economic and other opportunities.
Rob’s regulatory work includes acting for responsible resource developers and lenders on commercial, regulatory, social license, and natural resource issues. He has specialized experience in the clean energy and climate change sectors and helps other entrepreneurs accomplish their business goals.
In Rob’s younger (and wilder) days, he was a champion beer drinker – according to some, the fastest draw in the North. Don’t tell his children; he hopes they will grow up to be much more sophisticated than their dad.
Earlier in his career, Rob worked in the forest industry as an entrepreneur, faller, and silviculture supervisor.
- Called to The Bar in BC, 2005
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB), Certificate in Natural Resource law, University of British Columbia, 2004
- Bachelor of Arts, English and Film Studies (Honours), University of Victoria, 1999
- Recognized in Chambers Canada, Band 1, Aboriginal Law - Representation of Indigenous Peoples, 2023
- Recognized in Who's Who Legal Guide, National Leader, Recommended in Climate Change, 2022
- Recognized in Best Lawyers, Aboriginal Law + Natural Resources Law, since 2014
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in Canada in the areas of Aboriginal Law, Natural Resources Law, and Energy Law
- Nominated for Ernst and Young Entrepreneur of the Year
- Recognized by the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory in the areas of Indigenous Law, and Corporate and Commercial Law
- Recognized in the Lexpert Global Mining Special Edition
- Recognized in the Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate
- Recognized in the Lexpert Special Edition: Canada’s Leading Energy Lawyers
- Named NewLaw Pioneer by Canadian Bar Association
- Lawyers in Canada as “Corporate Lawyer to Watch”