Manager of Brand + Client Success
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are a law firm that proudly distinguishes itself from its peers.
We are privileged to engage in significant work at the forefront of law, where Indigenous reconciliation, environmental policy, and traditional business intersect. We take this work seriously — believing in our clients and striving to help them make a difference. Since our inception in 2009, we identified our purpose: helping people do good things. This concept remains a pivotal part of our DNA.
Simultaneously, we are committed to being bold, authentic, positive, and even playful. We have no problem stepping out of our ivory tower and putting our boots on the ground. We can take a joke and sometimes stir the pot.
All of this reflects in how we present ourselves. Our brand has played a crucial role in establishing us as one of — if not the — fastest-growing law firms in Western Canada over the past decade.
We are seeking a brand and marketing team leader to maintain the magic and propel us to new heights. You are a natural leader who can build authentic and trusting relationships. Your design eye and communication skills will help us continue to evolve our brand in the right ways.
While you are a leader, you are not afraid to roll up your sleeves and get things done. Your team is relatively small (but mighty), so you will be expected to execute work yourself when circumstances dictate.
This leadership position will report to the Director of Finance + Operations and lead the Marketing team. You will work closely with our CEO, who has built the brand and maintains a keen interest in brand direction and marketing success.
While the firm generally supports hybrid remote work, occasional in-office needs will arise, requiring your presence in the office and availability outside regular office hours for scheduled firm events. Our experience indicates that a critical element of this role is being present to connect with stakeholders and collaborate with others — meaning we don’t expect you in all the time, but we do expect you to be in some of the time.
We will provide training to get your skills up to speed, but these are generally the traits you will embody naturally:
- Confident: You communicate confidently and candidly by asking for what you need, suggesting better ways of doing things and holding people accountable for following processes and delivering results. You are comfortable speaking directly with lawyers and clients and exercising great judgment around your communications.
- High Performing: You are disciplined and take responsibility for your outcomes. You like to have everything under control, so you’re proactively one step ahead and take ownership of moving things forward as much as you possibly can. You have an eye for continuous improvement and the drive to plan and execute it.
- Supportive: You enjoy taking care of others by providing excellent service. You like to empower other people’s performance by building systems, documenting processes, and proactively anticipating their needs. Your empathy helps you think critically about the client and colleague experience.
- Curious: You’re eager to learn and get excited about figuring out new things. You seek learning opportunities and take time to understand the bigger picture of your work.
- Detail-Oriented: You’re a details person and can proofread like a pro. You have an eye for design and take pride in making things look nice, while also knowing when to prioritize function over fashion. You thrive on precision and administrative excellence.
- Flexible: You’re good at dealing with change and can gracefully roll with the punches when things get messy. You handle stress well, assume positive intentions in others, step up to the plate when your colleagues need a helping hand, and accept that this role works to a repetitive monthly cycle.
- Tech-Obsessed: You get a thrill out of working smarter instead of harder. You like to master your tech tools (while patiently helping others do the same) and are excited about the potential of automation in the workplace. You’re always on the hunt for technology that makes your life easier.
Ideally, you are a post-secondary graduate with a focus on business development and/or marketing, having a minimum of five years of experience in a professional environment and at least two years of experience leading and managing a team. You possess a design eye, expertise in brand development, and a creative approach to marketing and business development. Additionally, you are a skilled copywriter capable of crafting compelling written content on technical matters in a manner consistent with our brand voice.
A reasonable estimate of the salary range for this role is CAD$83,000 – $120,000 at the time of this posting. Factors such as market rates, job-related skills, relevant experience, and education and/or training determine individual pay within this range.
Please note that the range reflects the base pay only and does not include our competitive bonus program, 100% employer-paid benefits, and various other perks the firm offers.
While our firm is constantly evolving (and flexibility is key), as of right now, the duties of this role generally include:
- Support the CEO in leading the development of our refreshed vision (painted picture) and brand positioning.
- Facilitate the continued development and growth of the brand strategy, ensuring brand consistency across all client touchpoints. Align the internal and external brand with MT+Co.’s strategic objectives.
- Create and drive an innovative approach to marketing and business development (BD), while continuously improving existing systems, processes, standards, and services.
- Facilitate the development and delivery of all digital and print advertising, social media, PR, rankings, and events across MT+Co.
- Lead, coach, and develop individuals on the Marketing team.
- Prepare, manage, and oversee the Brand + Business Development budget, including client gifts, swag, and firm events.
- Stay up-to-date with relevant regulatory requirements, industry trends, marketing best practices, and digital advancements to drive innovation in marketing strategies.
BD + Marketing Plans:
- Collaborate with Practice Group Leaders to develop firm-aligned and integrated annual Business Development and marketing strategies, plans, and tactics for each practice group, as well as the MT+Co. offices and notary practices.
- Create a consistent approach to developing, leading, implementing, measuring, reporting, and supporting the key priorities of the BD and marketing strategic plan.
- Lead efforts in the development, communication, and execution of all BD and marketing initiatives, communications, and campaigns.
- Identify, implement, measure, and report on business-building and profile-enhancing events, client events, and sponsorship/donation opportunities.
- Collaborate with and coach lawyers to identify their practice growth goals and work with them to develop BD and marketing plans to achieve respective goals.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of business development training to lawyers to enhance their skills in initiating, developing, and closing new business development opportunities.
Request for Proposals / Proposals / Rankings:
- Develop informal and formal pitches and proposals that stand out and promote the MT+Co. team and brand. Coordinate and collaborate with lawyers to execute unique and complex RFPs.
- Facilitate the process of submitting significant matters for the expertise database and ranking agencies in consultation with and approval from the appropriate team members (Lexpert, Chambers, Benchmark, Best Lawyers, Who’s Who Legal, etc.).
- Manage and develop relationships with key stakeholders, including MT+Co.’s top clients and referral sources.
- Develop and deliver client feedback initiatives to secure and grow relationships with existing clients.
- Manage, develop, and deepen relationships with strategic community partners aligned with and elevating the firm’s brand.
- Manage and facilitate all aspects of firm events, conferences, and sponsorships, from start to finish.
- Collaborate with other firm departments, including Ops (Facilities, IT, and Reception), to ensure the seamless delivery of events.
- Develop an event critical path to ensure effective timelines are developed and deadlines are met for various events hosted by the firm.
- Provide direction, guidance, and support to the Marketing Coordinator to plan and execute internal and external events.
- Be responsible for internal marketing lists through the firm’s CRM system (i.e., Contact+).
HOW TO APPLY
Please send your resume and a brief statement describing why this particular role speaks to you to Zarah Hofer, Manager of People + Culture, at email@example.com.
"*" indicates required fields