We are a group of forward-thinking lawyers and professionals who have built a progressive business law firm based on a more passionate and personal way of practicing law. But what really makes us different? We challenge the legal status quo by constantly questioning traditional practices and pushing ourselves to do better. Our innovative practices include different ways of billing clients, working with clients, using technology to provide better service, and creating non-traditional roles and responsibilities for legal and non-legal staff.
We promise our clients value instead of billable hours. And we go even further – we guarantee it by letting our clients pay their bills based on what they perceive the value of our services to be. We believe clients should like their lawyer, and we believe that everyone in the firm should like each other. This means we seek out exceptional and affable individuals. We don’t hire assholes.
We seek clients we believe in and we are passionate about the type of work we do. Life is too short to spend time working with people who don’t share our values, or doing things we don’t enjoy.
What We Offer
We value our relationship with our staff and want the opportunity to lay a foundation on which you can build a successful career. We want to surround ourselves with people who are engaged, honest and confident enough on their own quest to support ours. We take seriously our responsibility to ensure that you develop as a member of the firm and the legal community. We make every effort to accommodate you so that you are able to gain experience in the areas that interest you. We encourage you to be involved in all aspects of the firm.
We are a young firm that is growing quickly and there are times where there’s a job that needs doing and there’s no one to do it; we appreciate people who are willing, even enthusiastic, to step up and work hard. There is always going to be “grunt work” but we hope to work with people who challenge the current system, take a risk and find a better way to solve a problem and take nothing at face value.
Operating as a self-starter under the direction of the assigned legal lawyers, the PM plays a significant role in keeping the legal professionals productive. The PM will participate in projects and is expected to support initiatives and best practices, as appropriate:
- Manage work-flow and client documents for legal professionals by using a ‘bring forward’ system, track client requests and ensure timely resolution with a view to delight the client
- Email management and filing
- Assist lawyers with the delivery of various value-driven legal services to help contribute to the profitability of the firm
- Prepare, file and manage documents for courts, boards, tribunals and other administrative bodies
- Liaise with clients, courts, and opposing counsel
- Accountable for billing cycle: from entry of time to preparation of accounts through to follow up with clients to ensure satisfactory payment of accounts
- Administrative support including coordinating meetings, travel arrangements and calendars, photocopying, scanning, faxing and other duties as may be required from time to time
- Manage, organize and prioritize work independently and keep others informed of progress of work where necessary
- Preliminary drafting of correspondence and legal documents under the supervision and direction of legal professionals, with a solid understanding of legal procedures and documentation
- File maintenance, including accurate daily filing, file organization, opening and closing files in accordance with the Law Society of British Columbia rules and the firm’s procedures, managing a bring forward or tracking system for limitation and follow up dates, track and file email correspondence
- Assist other team members with additional tasks as required from time to time
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- LAA or Paralegal certification
- Previous civil litigation experience (minimum 3+ years)
- Basic knowledge of corporate and real estate law would come in handy when performing asset searches or preparing for document discovery
- A proven level of professionalism
- Strong client-facing and communication skills
- Troubleshooting and multi-tasking skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills and client service skills
- Excellent time management skills, organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks, ability to work under pressure and adapt to changes readily
- Willing to deal with problems in a solutions-oriented manner
- Some physical work is required: filing, moving boxes, retrieving files, etc.
- Self-starter, uses initiative able to work independently and as a team member
- Tech savvy with a proven ability to quickly learn and understand new technology
- Excellent knowledge of the Microsoft Suite and the firm’s accounting software, PC Law
- Project management professional certification an advantage
- Proficient with Microsoft Word, Excel and Adobe Acrobat Pro
- Detail-oriented in terms of meticulously proofreading and formatting documents
- Strong organization skills for file record management
- Strong planning skills to plan ahead for next steps
- Basic knowledge of accounting software (PCLaw) and document management system software (Worldox) or similar
- Basic knowledge of Ipro Eclipse SE/e-discovery is an asset
While our firm is generally working remotely during the pandemic, the office is open, and you are welcome to work in the office.
The Perfect Person
The litigation team is a very busy group and we are always growing, so we’re looking for someone who’s competent, hard working and solution-oriented enough to help us navigate potential growing pains while our existing litigation PMs are both on maternity leave. If you were the perfect person for this role you would be:
- Mindful, authentic, positive and growth-oriented
- Very passionate about doing high-detail work and bringing order to chaos with excellent organization and strong prioritization skills
- Comfortable adopting new technology, and using technology in creative ways to work more efficiently
- Comfortable speaking directly with lawyers and holding them accountable to deadlines (while being positive and professional)
- Comfortable speaking directly with clients, and exercising great judgment around client communications (including when to involve others)
- Comfortable working both independently and as part of a team
- Comfortable in your knowledge of legal and technical procedures, statutes, regulations and governmental practices applicable to the corporate area
We’re Not The Right Firm For You If…
You won’t be the right person for this role if you:
- Struggle with competing deadlines, attention to detail or managing complex administrative logistics
- Aren’t willing to put in extra time when work demands (and take time off to recharge when you need to)
- Have poor or overly formal written communication
- Don’t value continuous improvement and evolution (i.e. you want to work somewhere that generally stays the same and doesn’t change often)
- Aren’t comfortable speaking directly to colleagues or providing constructive feedback to support their growth
- Draw hard lines in the sand around tasks that “aren’t your job”, or are generally inflexible about stepping in to help the team during busy times
- Are often in a negative headspace, get easily overwhelmed or tend to assume negative intentions in others
- Don’t see yourself growing with this role over time
How To Apply
Please prepare a resume and a brief cover letter outlining your experience in handling complex administrative tasks, and describing why this particular role speaks to you. You can submit your application by emailing Lia Psomiadis at email@example.com.