Braden is a corporate/commercial lawyer with a flair for franchise law and a background in accounting, tech and business. He was once crowned Canada’s Smartest Person by CBC, but has since retired from the reality TV circuit. If you ask him about automation, efficient and value driven legal services, or the accessibility of franchising for emerging industries, you may get a very passionate earful.
“I came to MT+Co. from an international law firm for two reasons: value and community. The value that large law firms provide is becoming increasingly detached from the work-product and client expectations. MT+Co. excited me because they are passionate and personable, they care about value-driven legal services, and they connect with and listen closely to their clients. Mt+Co.cares about the environment and the community that it works in as well as the community they build outside of the office. At MT+Co. people thrive.”
Braden is a member of MT+Co.’s Business Law and Transactions Group. His practice is primarily focused on advising franchisor clients of all sizes, privately held businesses and not-for-profits regarding corporate, commercial, governance, policy development, and various other matters including:
- Franchising: Franchisor and franchisee domestic and international franchising, disclosure compliance, licensing, and product distribution.
- Corporate/Commercial: M&A, sales of private businesses, corporate governance, (incorporation, reorganization and dissolution of companies, and advice to shareholders, officers and directors), specifically as these relate to the emerging industries in British Columbia
- Start-up: Incorporations, shareholders’ agreements, reverse vesting agreements, employee stock option plans, and debt and equity financing (including exempt distributions of securities and equity crowdfunding), in various industries
- Emerging Industries: General business advisory to clients in the blockchain, cannabis and financial technology sectors.
- JD, University of British Columbia (2016)
- Bachelor’s Degree with distinction, Business/Commerce (General), University of Alberta (2013)
- ABA/CBA member
- Canadian Franchise Association Member
Where do we begin…
- Braden was crowned Canada’s Smartest Person on the CBC television program of the same name in 2014. Though five years have passed, he still seems to retain some of the smarts.
- Most of Braden’s family now lives in the beautiful Okanagan. He attempts to get back there whenever possible to snowboard the mountain resorts, and search for the Ogopogo via paddle board.
- Braden hails from Edmonton. He’s an Oilers lover and a die-hard fan (but we don’t hold this against him).
- Braden loves karaoke, trivia and pinball. If you hear Frankie Valli at a karaoke spot, it’s probably Braden on vocals. And if you come across any Vancouver pinball machines boasting high scores under the initials BWL, you now know who’s responsible.